About Maithili Language: –
Maithili language is one of the three main languages of Bihar state. It is an Indo-Aryan language of the Indo-European language family. Maithili is the language of old Mithila (the area of ancient Videha, now Tirhut), which is dominated by orthodoxy and the Maithil Brahman way of life. Maithili is the only Bihari language with a script of its own, called Tirhuta, and a strong literary history.
Maithili Syllabus Subject For UPSC
Maithili is the language provided as a Literature Optional which focuses on the candidates’ understanding of the basic concepts of literature. Candidates who have studied the Maithili literature can opt for it as an optional subject in the IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains Exam. Analytical and unconventional questions are appearing in previous papers so while preparing students should keep IAS Mains Maithili Syllabus and previous papers for reference. The aspirants who are well versed with the Maithili language and are familiar with the grammatical aspects can easily score high marks in this optional.
Maithili Syllabus Exam Pattern: –
The Maithili language is one of the optional subjects offered for the 2 optional papers in the IAS (UPSC CSE) Main Exam. Each Maithili optional paper consists of 250 marks. Duration for each Maithili mains paper is 3 hours. With well-planned strategies, you can easily score well in the Maithili literature. Interest should be the prime criteria for choosing any optional. The aspirants have to answer the questions from both the papers in Maithili language.
Advantages of choosing Maithili
· Well defined syllabus and Less subjectivity
- Direct and straightforward questions
- Ample scope to score marks with diagrams
- The inquiries in this subject are immediate and crucial.
- Room for interpretation in the written answers
- Quality of answers as there is no limitation to different kinds of answers.
- Updation in the syllabus is rare
Disadvantages of choosing Maithili
- Subjective Nature of the answers can lead to less scoring at times if your views do not match with the evaluator.
- Lack of resources
- No syllabus overlaps with GS papers
- Essay writing and interviews won’t pose much of a problem as the amount of reading will help with these.
IAS Mains Maithili Paper 1
Answer to be written in Maithili
Part A – History of Maithili Language
- Place of Maithili in Indo-European language family.
- Origin and development of Maithili language. (Sanskrit, Prakrit, Avhatt, Maithili)
- Periodic division of Maithili Language. (Beginning, Middle era, Modern era)
- Maithili and its different dialects.
- Relationship between Maithili and other Eastern languages (Bengali, Assamese, Oriya).
- Origin and development of Tirhuta Script.
- Pronouns and Verbs in Maithili Language.
Part B – History of Maithili Literature
- Background of Maithili Literature (Religious, economic, social, cultural).
- Periodic division of Maithili literature.
- Pre-Vidyapati Literature.
- Vidyapati and his tradition.
- Medieval Maithili Drama (Kirtaniya Natak, Ankai Nat, Maithili dramas written in Nepal).
- Maithili Folk Literature (Folk Tales, Folk Drama, Folk Stories, Folk Songs).
- Development of different literary forms in the modern era.
- Short Story
- Development of Maithili Magazines and Journals.
IAS Mains Maithili Paper 2
Answers must be written in Maithili
- Vidyapati Geet-Shati-Publisher : Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi (Lyrics- 1 to 50)
- Govind Das Bhajanavali-Publisher : Maithili Academy, Patna (Lyrics – 1 to 25).
- Krishnajanm – Manbodh
- Mithilabhasha Ramayana – Chanda Jha (only Sunder-Kand)
- Rameshwar Charit Mithila Ramayan – Lal Das (only Bal-kand)
- Keechak-Vadh-Tantra Nath Jha.
- Datta-Vati-Surendra Jha ‘Suman’ (only 1st and 2nd Cantos).
- Samakaleen Maithili Kavita – Publisher : Sahitaya Akademi, New Delhi.
- Varna Ratnakar – Jyotirishwar (only 2nd Kallol)
- Khattar Kakak Tarang – Hari Mohan Jha.
- Prithvi Putra-Lalit
- Bhaphait Chahak Jinagi-Sudhanshu ‘Shekar’ Choudhary.
- Kirti Rajkamlak-Publisher : Maithili Academy, Patna (First Ten Stories only).
- Katha-Sangrah-Publisher : Maithili Academy, Patna.