PWD full form is Public Works Department. It is a public work agency of the government of India and different state governments. In simple words, the Public Works Department is an agency that takes care of all types of public services related to transportation, government constructions, highways, bridges, and more.
If you want to take the Public Works Department exam, you must know several things. That’s why we are sharing all the details related to PWD. Moreover, we are also sharing the functions and responsibilities of Public Works Department officials. Let’s get started.
PWD Work Categories
You see, PWD is involved in several works related to government projects. However, this department also has different work categories. The work role of the Public Works Department is divided into four categories:
- Maintenance and construction of the government buildings
- Construction, development, and maintenance of roads, highways, and flyovers
- Maintenance of drinking water system
- Maintenance and development of bridge
Getting a job in the Public Works Department can be amazing. If you want to get a PWD job, you must clear the exam. Well, the exam is easier compared to other examinations. Before you apply for the job post, you have to meet the examination requirements. A candidate has to meet these requirement criteria:
- The candidate has to be an Indian citizen.
- The minimal age of the candidate is 18 years and the maximum age is 45. There is age relaxation for OBC, SC, and ST aspirants
- Minimum education qualification is secondary education from a reputed board.
The exam process of the Public Works Department includes two steps. You have to take the preliminary offline. After qualifying, the PWD department will call you for the personality test. If you pass the interview, you’ll get the job. Well, PWD arranges an online test for some higher-level posts. This examination includes technical and general topics.
PWD has various functions. If you are interested in what this department does, you have to know about the functions as well. Let’s find out:
- This department provides consultancy services
- The Public Works Department of the government of India does construction planning for Central Armed Police Force
- The officials have also been involved in defense and security-related government projects.
- PWD also complete projects under RSVY and PMGSY program
Now, you know about the exam pattern and eligibility criteria of the Public Works Department examination. Well, the PWD officials have various responsibilities. If you are interested in this job role, you must know about the responsibilities. In the following list, we are sharing the job roles and responsibilities of Public Works Department officials:
- PWD has to do maintenance if any damage happens to government buildings, highways, roads, and hospitals.
- The Public Works Department is responsible for providing a good drinking water system.
- The officials of the Public Works Department work on various public government services activities such as designing, planning, and maintaining government projects.
You see, the Public Works Department plays an important role in public service. The department has several responsibilities. If you want to get a PWD job, you have to pass the examination. We have shared all the details, including exam pattern, eligibility, and more. For more information, you can start your research on PWD.
Q: What is the role of PWD?
The PWD department plays a crucial role in completing government projects. This department is involved in planning, constructing, and designing all government civil engineering projects.
Q: How can I get a PWD job in India?
To get a job in the Public Works Department, you have to be an Indian citizen. Plus, your age has to be between 18 to 45 years old. And the minimum qualification is secondary education.
Q: What is the expansion of PWD?
The key goal of the Public Works Department department is constructing and maintaining government buildings, roads, and transportation systems.