UPSC Books for Public Administration Optional Booklist for UPSC Mains
Books for Public Administration Optional: Public administration is one of the most popular courses in the UPSC Main test. Around 1,200 applicants pick public administration as an optional subject for the Main every year. It’s one of the few subjects that requires a lot of thinking. This is a lucrative subject for IAS aspirants due to the abundance of study materials and ease of comprehension.
In comparison to the other topics, the syllabus for public administration is also brief. Every year, the essay paper includes topics linked to ‘polity, government, and democracy.’
Public Administration is analytical, and it necessitates the integration of theory with governance instances. To reply successfully, it is critical to have a thorough comprehension of the issue. As a result, it is critical to master the art of phrasing your views after careful consideration prior to the examination. As a result, it’s critical to carefully evaluate the structure of your response in order to make it sound more reasonable and believable.
- Chapter-I: Introduction Mohit Bhattacharya: New Horizons of Public Administration Nicholas Henry : Public Administration and Public Affairs Special Issues of Indian Journal of Public Administration
- Chapter-II: Theories of Administration D. Ravindra Prasad, V.S. Prasad and P. Satyanarayana: Administrative Thinkers D. Gvishiani Organisation and Management: A Critique of Western Theories.
- Chapter-III: Structure of Public Organisations: R.K. Jain : Public Sector Undertakings; and Mohit Bhattacharya : New Horizons of Public Administration
- Chapter-IV: Administrative Behaviour Paul Hersey : Organisational Behaviour OR Stephen P. Robbin : Organisational Behaviour
- Chapter-V: Accountability and Control: Mohit Bhattacharya : New Horizons of Public Administration Special Issues of Indian Journal of Public Administration on Accountability
- Chapter-VI: Administrative Law: Massey :Administrative Law OR M.P. Jain :Administrative Law
- Chapter-VII: Administrative Reforms: P.R. Dubbashi : Administrative Reforms G.E. Gaiden :Administrative Reforms
- Chapter-VIII: Comparative Public Administration: Ferrel Heady : Public Administration-A Comparative Perspective OR R.K. Arora : Comparative Public Administration
- Chapter-IX: Development Administration: Ferrel Heady : Public Administration – A Comparative Perspective OR R.K. Arora : Comparative Public Administration
- Chapter-X: Public Policy : IGNOU Lessons on Public Policy R. K. Sapra : Public Policy
- Chapter-XI: Personnel Administration: O Glenn :Stahl : Public Personnel Administration S. L. Goel : Personnel Administration in India.
- Chapter-XII: Financial Administration M. J. K. Thavaraj :Public Financial Administration OR G.S. Lal :Financial Administration in India IGNOU Lessons on Financial Administration
Paper 2 Indian Administration
- Chapter-I: Evolution of Indian Administration B.N. Puri Administrative History of India (Vol. I, II and III)
- Chapter-II: Constitutional Framework D. D. Basu An Introduction to the Constitution of India
- Chapter-III: Union Government and Administration A. Avasthi Central Administration
- Chapter-IV: State Government and Administration J.D. Shukla State Administration
- Chapter-V: District Administration T.N. Chaturvedi District Administration; and Special Issue of Indian Journal of Public Administration on District Administration
- Chapter-VI: Local Government S.R. Maheswari Local Government in India
- Chapter-VII: Public Sector in India R. K. Jain Public Sector Undertakings Annual Survey on Public Sector of Department of Public Enterprises
- Chapter-VIII: Public Services S.L. Goel Personnel Administration in India
- Chapter-IX: Control of Public Expenditure M. J. K. Thavaraj Financial Administration IGNOU Lessons on Financial Administration
- Chapter-X: Administrative Reforms P.R. Dubbashi Administrative Reforms S. R. Maheswari Administrative Reforms Special Issue of Indian Journal of Public Administration on Administrative Reforms
- Chapter-XI: Machinery for Planning A. Avasthi Central Administration
- Chapter-XII: Administration of Law-and-Order K. K. Sharma Law and Order Administration in India K. J. Guha Roy, District Policing
- Chapter-XIII: Welfare Administration Annual Reports of Department of Social Welfare
- Chapter-XIV: Major Issues in Indian Administration Special Issue of Indian Journal Public Administration on Indian Administration, Retrospect and Prospect and on Good Governance.