The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) Civil Services Examination is the most sought-after competitive exam in India. Every year, lakhs of aspirants appear for the exam with the hope of becoming a civil servant and serving the nation.
The UPSC Civil Services Exam is conducted annually in three stages- Preliminary, Mains and Interview. It is a very tough exam and requires rigorous preparation and dedication to clear it.
The right time to start preparing for the UPSC Civil Services Exam depends on the individual’s educational background and the amount of time one is willing to dedicate to the preparation.
For candidates who have recently completed their graduation, the right time to start preparing for the UPSC Civil Services Exam is at least one year prior to the exam. This would give the candidate enough time to understand the exam pattern, get acquainted with the syllabus and study the topics thoroughly.
If the candidate has appeared for the exam before, then he/she should start preparing at least two years before the exam. This would enable the candidate to cover all the topics in depth and also give them enough time for revision.
For those who have worked for a few years after graduation, the right time to start preparing for the UPSC Civil Services Exam is at least three years prior to the exam. This would give the candidate enough time to brush up on the basics and study more advanced concepts.
It is important to note that for any candidate to clear the UPSC Civil Services Exam, a lot of hard work and dedication is required. There is no substitute for hard work and one must be willing to put in the effort to get the desired results.
Apart from hard work, it is also important to have a proper plan of action. One must make a study plan and stick to it religiously. This will help the candidate stay focused and motivated while preparing for the exam. The UPSC Civil Services Exam is a challenging but rewarding exam. It is the gateway to becoming a civil servant and serving the nation. Therefore, it is important to start preparing for the exam well in advance and the right time to start is at least one year before the exam.
Q. Crack the UPSC interview with these tips.
The UPSC civil services is regarded as one of the most difficult examinations in India. With over 5 lakh people competing for only 800-1000 seats, the UPSC selection procedure includes preliminary, main, and interview rounds (personality test).
Candidates studying for the UPSC should be aware that the personality exam carries 275 marks out of a total of 2025 marks and is the final barrier in their path. The final rank in the merit list is determined by the students’ performance at the interview.
Here are a few ace tips to help you crack the UPSC interview:
- Read Your Daf Thoroughly: Most questions in the UPSC interview will be based on your Detailed Application Form (DFA). So, the DAF can help you answer the majority of questions in the UPSC interview.
- Research thoroughly: Before the UPSC interview, make sure you do your research on the topics. This will help you to be prepared and answer the questions confidently.
- Dress Appropriately: It is important to dress appropriately for the UPSC interview. Wear formals that are comfortable and neat.
- Be Confident: Make sure you project confidence in your answers. Speak clearly and confidently.
- Body Language: Maintain good body language during the interview. Sit up straight, make eye contact and smile.
- Listen Carefully: Make sure you listen carefully to the question and then answer it. Do not interrupt the interviewer while they are speaking.
- Be Honest: Be honest and truthful in your answers. Do not try to bluff your way through the interview.
- Be Positive: Show a positive attitude during the interview. Do not be negative or pessimistic.
- Practice Mock Interviews: Practice mock interviews with family and friends to get used to the interview process and be better prepared for the UPSC interview.