IAS Officers’ Training at LBSNAA: The IAS aspirants are overjoyed when being selected by UPSC to join the Indian Administrative Services. All the selected candidates are to go through the training at LBSNAA, Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration.
The training for an OT, that is to say, the Officer Trainee aims at developing his entire personality in a holistic manner. Needless to say, the IAS officers are expected to be ready to undertake various tasks in a successful manner even as the fresh recruits.
The Officer Trainee: Various Phases That He Goes Through
IAS Officers’ Training at LBSNAA: The complete training for an OT (Officer Trainee) comprises various phases.
Phase I: It comprises a Foundation Course running for 4 months at Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration. It should be noted that at the completion of the initial phase, the Officer Trainees are directed to various training places as per their services.
But the training for the IAS Officers is conducted at LBSNAA only, though it includes Bharat Darshan i.e., a tour of India, apart from the District Training.
As far as various other prominent services are concerned, it would be helpful to throw a careful glance at the table given below. It reveals the important details for what follows after the Foundation Course at the LBSNAA.
|IAS||Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA)||Mussoorie||Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)|
|IPS||Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA)||Hyderabad||Osmania University|
|IFS||Foreign Service Institute||New Delhi|
|IFoS||Indira Gandhi National Forest Academy (IGNFA)||Dehradun||Degree from Forest Research Institute|
|IRS (Income Tax)||National Academy of Direct Taxes||Nagpur||NALSAR University|
|IRS (Customs and Central Excise)||National Academy of Customs, Excise & Narcotics||Faridabad||NALSAR University|
It is worth noting that the foundation course for 4 months at Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration is meant for all the newly recruited candidates to the All India Services, apart from the Central Services. It aims at developing unity and a concern for the common interests, apart from the responsibilities that ought to be there among a group working on a task, enterprise, cause etc.
IAS Probationers (Direct Recruits): Induction Training
It follows as sequenced below:
- Foundation Course
- Phase I
- District Training
- Phase II
- Assistant Secretaryship
It should be noted that apart from the induction training (as specified above) for the direct recruits, Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration also conducts the induction training for various Officers who are promoted to the Indian Administrative Services from the State Civil Services. Besides, the bureaucrats are also provided with the scope for upgrading their skills at various training programs during the course of their careers.
IAS Probationers: Training Schedule
The training schedule for the IAS probationers runs for nearly two years. And the same is elaborated as given below:
Phase-1 Winter Study Tour/Bharat Darshan
1. The IAS probationers (Officer Trainees) are divided into several groups after the completion of the Foundation Course. They tour India in order to be familiar with rich cultural heritage and the diversity.
2. They meet various dignitaries including the Hon’ble President of India.
- Each group is facilitated to get an in-depth understanding of various executive/administrative/defense institutions as it is attached to the same.
- Besides, there is a brief stint running for a week at the Lok Sabha Secretariat, Bureau of Parliamentary Studies, Delhi.
3. Academic Module
- Training for 15 weeks at LBSNAA
- The usual day for the IAS probationers begins with an exercise drill early in the morning at 6 am.
The academic sessions comprise:
- land management,
- soft skills,
- project management,
- national security,
- e-gov etc.
4. The time during the evenings and holidays is spent focusing on:
- cultural activities,
- trekking apart from other adventure sports,
- horse riding,
- volunteering for various activities,
- cross-country runs etc.
IAS Training: District
- runs for almost an year
- the candidates study the administrative setup of a particular district by being a part of the same
- the candidates gain a first-hand understanding of various:
- developmental issues,
- solutions and
Phase II: It comprises sharing individual learning experiences gained from Phase 1 and the district training
- Discussions and articulation of various developmental challenges/issues
- The candidates stand to gain from specific sessions with the subject matter experts
The probationers, once they complete the induction training, join the respective deputations. It should be noted that a few years earlier, as per the recommendation(s) made by a high level committee, the IAS probationers function as Assistant Secretaries. They are on the central deputation for a few months under the respective Joint Secretaries. It helps them gain an experience of how the Central Secretariat functions?
Conclusion: IAS Officers’ Training at LBSNAA
The probationers are expected to abide by the Probation Rules. Besides, there are Exams as well. However, there is a regular stipend. The co-curricular, apart from the extracurricular activities also form a part of the training helping the trainees gain a well balanced personality.