Reservation for EWS: The Economically Weaker Section (EWS) is a sector of Indian society that is unreserved and has an annual family income of less than 8 lakh rupees. This group covers those who do not fall within the ST/SC/OBC caste categories and do not already benefit from reservation.
The Indian government implemented a 10% reservation for those who do not fall into the ST/SC/OBC categories but fall into the unreserved category and meet the economically weaker segment requirements.
Candidates qualifying for the economically weaker section reserve are from the general category, and they can now enjoy a 10% reservation if they meet the conditions. Stay watch for our article for additional information about EWS Certificate Application 2022.
What is EWS?
- EWS is a phrase that refers to a group of individuals that are economically disadvantaged.
- Within the general quota, the administration has committed to establish a 10% reserve for those from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
- This regulation applies to educational institutions as well as all government jobs.
Background of EWS
- The concept of reservation criteria was introduced by Dr. B.R. Ambedkar while preparing the Indian Constitution in 1950 to encourage society’s weaker sections such as Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), Backward Classes (BC), Economically Weaker Classes (EWS), and other sections by giving them a chance to fight for their rights and display their hidden talent.
- Residents must meet the qualifying standards established by the government of India in order to get the advantages of the EWS certificate.
EWS Certificate definition
- Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) are “a sub-category of persons in India who belong to the economically based unreserved category with an annual income of less than 8,00,000 and do not belong to any other category such as SC/ST/OBC.”
- The Indian President passed the EWS Certificate law on January 12, 2019, under which Indian residents who fall under the EWS category would receive a 10% reservation when applying for any government employment or admission into any government institution.
- When the bill was passed by the President, Gujarat became the first state to accept and execute it for the benefit of its inhabitants.
- Persons who are not covered by the quota plan for SCs, STs, and OBCs and whose family’s gross annual income is less than Rs 8 (Rupees eight lakh only) would be designated as EWSs for the benefit of reservation.
- Income should also comprise earnings from all sources, such as pay, agriculture, business, profession, and so on, for the fiscal year before the year of application.
- Persons whose family owns or has any of the following assets, regardless of family income, are also barred from being designated as EWS:
- 5 acres or more of agricultural land
- A residential space of 1000 square feet or more.
- A residential plot of 100 square yards or more in a notified municipality.
- Residential, plots of 200 square yards or more in regions other than the notified municipalities.
- Property owned by a “Family” in multiple regions or cities would be grouped together when applying the land. or property holding test to assess EWS status. For this reason, the term “Family” will encompass the individual seeking reservation benefits, his/her parents and siblings under the age of 18, as well as his/her spouse and children under the age of 18.
EWS Certificate Application 2022:
- The Indian government tries to cover citizens from backward classes and extremely weaker sections by providing them with good education, financial assistance, employment opportunities, and many other benefits.
- To take advantage of these benefits, citizens must apply for the ‘EWS Certificate’ signed by the Indian government. When applying for government positions or schools, the accepted candidate with an EWS certificate receives a 10% reserve.
EWS Certificate Benefits
- The benefits of an EWS Certificate are numerous, and only those candidates who hold a valid Income & Asset Certificate will be eligible for one.
- The following are some of the primary benefits of the certificate that candidates will receive after applying for the EWS Certificate:
- Candidates can request privileges to various government initiatives, and the reservation will also give financial assistance to individuals in need.
- It is mandatory for all central institutions under UGC to observe the EWS reservation and grant seats to EWS category applicants.
- The candidate can also get a stipend on programs given by the Central & State governments for the welfare of the people.
|Nationality||(a) Candidate has to be an Indian resident.|
|General Category||(a) The candidate must belong to the general category and doesn’t carry any other caste.|
(b) The EWS reservation is only for general category candidates.
|Family Income||(a) The candidate’s annual family income should be less than ₹8 lakhs.|
(b) The family income must include the income sources of all family members from agriculture, private job, business etc.
|Agricultural Land||(a) The land should be owned by the candidate personally and not given on lease to another person.|
(b) If the farmer personally owns the land then it should not be more than 5 acres.
|Residential Property||(a) In case, the candidate purchases a residential plot then it should be below 100 square yards in a notified municipality sector & below 200 yards in a non-municipality sector.|
(b) The residential flat area which the candidate purchased should be below 1000 square feet.
- Candidates must pay a nominal application fee when applying for the EWS certificate. The application fee amount will be determined by the State Revenue Department, which simply implies that the application charge will not be the same in all Indian states.
- The applicant must pay the cost either online or offline (Net Banking, Card, BHIM UPI, Cash, Cheque, Demand Draft).
- Currently, no information on the application cost is available, but we will provide an update as soon as we receive it.
Definition of Family
- You must have read the phrase ‘Family’ in the qualifying requirements given above, and the family will only contain the following family members:
- The candidate’s parents and spouse.
- Siblings and children under the age of 18.
Issuing Authority for EWS Certificate
· Various authorities in each state will issue and verify the EWS/Income and Asset Certificate.
·Although the authorities may change, the application form format specified by the Indian government will be the same throughout the country.
Regarding verification of EWS claims
- The Officer issuing the certificate would do so after carefully examining all necessary papers in accordance with the procedures set by the particular State/UT.
- The instructions referred to above should be strictly followed so that an unscrupulous person cannot secure employment on the basis of a false claim, and if any person obtains an appointment on the basis of such a false claim, her/his services will be terminated in accordance with the terms of the offer of appointment.
Q1 How does one obtain the EWS/Income & Asset Certificate?
A1 The EWS/Income & Asset Certificate may be simply accessed via the state official portal or by visiting the local Common Services Centre; links to several states are also provided on this page.
Q2 What are the advantages of obtaining an EWS Certificate?
A2 Those who apply for the EWS Certificate will receive a 10% reservation in government positions and a relaxation in their admittance to schools or institutions.
Q3 What are the key requirements for applying for an EW certificate?
A3 The candidate’s family’s yearly income must be less than Rs. 8 lakhs, and they must be Indian nationals.
Q4 How long does it take to process an EWS certificate?
A4 The processing time for the EWS certificate issuance varies by state. The EWS certificate is typically processed in 21 days.